Monday, September 3, 2012

Triptych Assignment No. 1





Q: What came first? The chicken or the egg? 

TITLE:
Backyard Chickens

STATEMENT:
For this project I wanted choose something that would be cheerful, fun and different. I ended up theming my project with images of what I see on a day-to-day basis and in my backyard. Chickens! Folks shouldn't be surprised that there are more people adding small flocks to their small city backyards. They are easy to keep, you get free fertilizer, they eat all the creepy crawlers in your garden, and they provide you with fresh eggs daily! And, just as important, they are great for laughs.  "Chickens are no longer just a petting zoo animal." A rooster isn't needed for your hens to produce eggs; just shelter and some food. If you choose to have a small flock start with two or three. They are extremely social and will follow you in hopes for some treats. Chickens are great, chickens are funny, and chickens can cheer you up. 

OTHER:
My first inspiration was to tell a story about chicken eggs and their nutritional values based off of some of the magazines I have at home. Most of these magazine clippings came from Martha Stewart, Country  Living, and Food & Wine. The chicken images are there because chickens to me are comical and fun. Working in a more laid back approach, and not forced, allowed me to enjoy this first project. I smile thinking that these could be framed and put up in someone's kitchen walls, no?

A: Scientists are still trying to crack that mystery, no pun intended. 



3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find the subject material very intriguing to talk about as it is almost counter intuitive to digital art in a way! Visually, even if an entry level exposition into Photoshop, I like how these images look. The transparency creates a soft interpretation of the material and fittingly so. My mind wonders about what content chickens might have in the age of mechanical reproduction. It almost reminds me/us about how life is sustained in the demand to 'speed life along' with technology and associated devices. I would continue find meaning in ideas juxtaposing the rural with the digital. It is an ever growing divide.

    (BTW, I didn't find the artist statement before the due time.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is interesting that you chose such a "homey" and "country-style" topic for such a mechanical project. I think that it is a fun play on ideas. It is really neat that more and more people are turning their homes into environments where animals can be kept,even with all of the technology we use.

    ReplyDelete